[hpsdr] My PA & Alex

David McQuate mcquate at sonic.net
Sun Sep 11 19:05:50 PDT 2011

If the high PA power supply current is indicative of PA
self-oscillation, and I'm guessing that is what's happening, it sounds
like your PA is not unconditionally stable at all frequencies (in-band
and out-of-band -- I'm not sure of the frequency of the spurious
oscillation, perhaps VHF).  While Alex is designed to present a load
close to 50 ohms, resistive, to the output of the PA *in band*, it most
probably is highly reflective out of band (in the filter's stop-band).
If the magnitude of the output reflection coefficient of the PA is
sufficiently greater than one at any frequency at which the PA's load is
also reflective, there will be oscillations.

  I'd say you need some sort of a diplexer, that lets the desired HF
signals go to Alex unchanged, but absorbs power at other frequencies.
It might be as simple as a series connection of a 50 ohm resistor and a
small capacitor, connected in parallel with the input to Alex.  The
reactance of the capacitor would be large at HF, but small at the
frequency of the spurious oscillation.  If the latter is really at VHF,
the frequency difference will be large, making the difference in
capacitive reactance large.  If the oscillation frequency is closer to
the PA normal operating frequency, the requirements on this diplexer
become more difficult to realize.

Another solution would be to modify the PA to "neutralize" it, so that
it's output reflection coefficient magnitude remains small (ie < 1).

73,
Dave
wa8ywq