[hpsdr] PowerSDR v1.19.3.5.steering1 (K5SO 8SEP2011) ,

Joe Martin K5SO k5so at valornet.com
Sun Sep 18 21:11:42 PDT 2011

Hi George,

I've examined the effect of changing to 120 DPI on my XP system.  Yes,
you're right; it screws things up but, frankly, I don't think that
it's particularly important to make our applications so robust that
they can withstand all imaginable non-standard settings that can be
forced on the app by the user.

My view is that it's tough enough to make these apps play properly
with standard settings and if someone wants to make advanced (non-
standard) settings on their machines AND ALSO wants the apps to run
that way they will simply have to bite the bullet and dig into the
apps themselves to make them run that way.  I, for one, hardly have
the time or inclination to worry about making programs compatible with
the myriad of settings that folks can put their Windows systems in.
I'm a bit concerned that if we focused on all those Windows-specific
items we'd never make any progress in the radio art itself!

I'm sharing my work for free and if it's not up to someone's general
programming standards so be it, I can live with that.  I certainly
welcome anyone who is unhappy with any aspect of our work to jump
right in and "improve" things for the benefit of all of us.
Personally, I intend to keep my focus on trying to do innovative
things on the radio end rather than focusing on the Windows OS side of
things any more than is absolutely necessary.  I don't enjoy working
with Windows operating systems.

Thank you for bringing up the issue, however.  It is duly noted and
you certainly have a valid point.

If someone has a particular problem with my program(s) and needs
assistance from me to make it(them) work I will be happy to try to
help but I don't wish to spend too much time worrying about
hypothetical problems.  The particular problem you bring up could be
addressed with a specific modification that "personalizes" the app for
that particular setting, of course.  That's not a general solution,
certainly, but it's really not my goal to make my apps completely
bullet proof or idiot proof.   This attitude is why I'm not a very
good programmer I suppose, hihi; I'm an experimenter not an expert
programmer so it's appropriate that my code is not an official part of
the mainstream HPSDR software project on the svn repository, I believe.

If you have a "fix" for the problem you raise I'd be pleased to try to
understand it and incorporate it.  Keep up the good work, OM!

73,  Joe K5SO