[hpsdr] Direction Finder using Dual-Mercury Diversity Operation

Joe Martin K5SO k5so at valornet.com
Thu Sep 22 05:17:39 PDT 2011

Hi Abhi,

Yes, of course.  As a matter of fact I am currently writing (about 90%
complete at this time) a version of PowerSDR that uses dual Mercury
boards that allows the user powerful and versatile phasing/beam
forming capabilities with the resulting antenna sensitivity pattern
being displayed directly onto the "steering" display.  This permits
the user to "see" what he is doing to the resultant antenna pattern in
real time as the phasing parameters of the IQ stream are changed.

I don't think any additional hardware is required beyond what we
already have in the HPSDR board/filter sets.  I have explored what
beam forming characteristics should be possible with the phasing
techniques that are available to us in

http://www.k5so.com/Notes_for_PSDR_v1.19.3.5.steering1.pdf

and have decided, at least for now, that a dual Mercury configuration
is all that is needed for most directional applications and so I will
shortly be replacing the present triple Mercury program with an
enhanced dual Mercury program specifically for beam steering and
antenna sensitivity pattern display.

For direction finding purposes it may be that the higher angular
resolution associated with three receivers/antennas would be
beneficial but doing that comes with increased complexity in software
and hardware (hardware, in the sense that triple Mercury boards with
filters are required and three antennas).

What additional hardware are you thinking about needing for direction
finding?  Any help you or anyone else can provide in developing this
capability would certainly be welcome.

73,  Joe K5SO