[hpsdr] Direction Finder using Dual-Mercury Diversity Operation

Joe Martin K5SO k5so at valornet.com
Thu Sep 22 12:19:13 PDT 2011

Hi Abhi,

Multiple ADCs are necessary, as it is the phase difference(s) between
the separate input rf streams that is critical to DF.  One rf input
stream won't do it.  If one were to design around Hermes it would be
necessary to add additional ADCs somewhere.  The single FPGA and
single ethernet interface would work fine for all receivers, in fact
Hermes currently supports multiple receivers but, if configured as
multiple Rx, all the receivers in Hermes use the output from the
single ADC and therefore there is no spatially derived phase
distinction available in the IQ streams from those multiple
receivers,  as there is only a single, common, rf source for them all;
i.e., the one ADC.

You mentioned an add-on board as a possible way to interface with the
existing Hermes.  Such an add-on board would need to include
additional antenna inputs and ADCs, at a minimum.  The outputs from
the additional ADCs would have to be routed somehow to the FPGA on
Hermes.  This could in principle be done, as I noted before, either
via Atlas bus lines or with ribbon cabling if there is some kind of
header available on Hermes that could be used (perhaps there isn't).
It seems to me that neither of those choices is optimum as there is
probably good reason for the ADCs on Hermes and Mercury being
physically close to the FPGA.  But it might work, I don't know.

I think a self-contained (new) board design would be the cleanest
approach if there is demand for an efficient single-board DF rig.
However, as I also mentioned, the current selection of HPSDR boards
provides the base setup for a direction finding configuration already;
namely, using multiple coherent Mercury receivers.  So we already have
in hand the essential hardware necessary to demonstrate the DF
feasibility.  If/when the steering program is fully operational, it
may generate sufficient interest in DF activity to warrant the group's
serious attention toward developing a single-board DF project.   That
is, unless there is already sufficient interest in the group!

In any case, we can certainly mull over the possibilities ourselves
and even put some single-board designs together if we need something
new to occupy our time!

73,  Joe K5SO