[hpsdr] Direction Finder using Dual-Mercury Diversity Operation

Joe Martin K5SO k5so at valornet.com
Thu Sep 22 14:15:03 PDT 2011

Hi John,

You bring up a good point.

Using a common 122.88 MHz clock for all Mercury boards does allow
stable phasing as shown by long-term (hours) nulling of a signal
generator signal into the Mercury boards.  The null position doesn't
change upon exiting and re-starting PSDR but DOES change to a new
stable phase relationship when the Atlas board is powered down and
restarted.

As you note, each time the boards are re-started the relative phase
will be different but will remain constant as long as power is not
removed from Atlas.  As each Mercury board is constructed internally
the same way and each is working from exactly the same instruction set
passed to it (them) from Metis/Ozy/Magister the various delays are at
least constant for the Mercury boards after the ADCs are started up.
This does enable deep, stable nulls to be observed with dual Mercury
boards in a laboratory test setup.

Now, what I should find out is whether, once the direction is
calibrated in a multiple Mercury setup, the calibration changes every
time Atlas is re-started?  I don't really know.  I'll have to check
that out.

73,  Joe K5SO