[hpsdr] VHF/UHF downconverter project for HPSDR

Phil Harman phil at pharman.org
Thu Sep 22 19:26:10 PDT 2011

Hi Ante,

I also have been working on a variant of your B1 solution.

When initially working on the Cyclops spectrum analyser I tested an Si570
for the second LO (1.126GHz). Whilst this was fine in terms of spectral
purity it did drift quite badly with temperature.  For that reason I used
a conventional VCO + PLL system.

More recently, with Cyclops being re-started, I've been evaluating the
ADL4350 synthesiser chip. This chip contains a 2.2 - 4.4GHz VCO,
integer/fractional N PLL and output dividers.  It will provide an output
between 137MHz and 4.4GHz at +5dBm.  Whilst the close in phase noise above
2GHz is not particularly good, in terms of parts count and performance/$
its hard to beat.

Using similar building blocks to Joe I've built a simple down converter
using Mercury at 60MHz as the IF. Using this IF simplifies the design of
the input filters.

I'm also experimenting with using multiple IFs so that either a
combination of LO and IF could be found that avoids any images and/or
subtracting the image signal(s) from the wanted signal (when used as a
spectrum analyser). Early tests look very encouraging.

The use of multiple LO/IF combinations to identify images is not a new
technique. I recall one of the first spectrum analysers I used over 30
years ago had a button you could push in order to determine which of the
signals displayed where images. It was up to the operator to do the final,
visual, signal processing!

With the speed of modern PCs and FFTs we should be able to automate this
process.

If there is any interest I'll write this up for the Wiki.

73 Phil...VK6APH