[hpsdr] Roadmaps

n3evl n3evl at townisp.com
Sun Sep 25 18:50:24 PDT 2011

Dave,

I assume you are responding to my email but perhaps you have me confused
with Walter, GW4PEX, since his is the text you quoted?

In any event, I think you have missed my point!  My intent was not in
the nature of a complaint and I am quite familiar with the volunteer
nature of the overall HPSDR project and mindful of the time constraints
under which the contributors operate.

My concern was the overall fragmentation of access to the available
information. Most of that which I seek is no doubt already out there on
the various web pages, wiki, etc.  I guess my confusion was in part due
to seeing the occasional references to some new release of this or that
on this reflector accompanied by statements like: "version 1.2.3.4 is
available on svn..."  A specific example was a recent reference to
PowerSDR 1.19.3.5:  In that particular case I could not determine what
svn address to use and was puzzled regarding the significance of that
particular version since it was not clear if it was specific to
diversity use or more general use.  A search of the reflector did not
yield the information I was missing.

My suggestion was that a roadmap giving details of each software
component, including derivatives specific to some area might be useful
to the HPSDR community.  Ideally this would document the name of the
item, its reason for being, where the current binaries can be obtained,
where source code can be obtained, related web-page(s), etc.

Perhaps what is needed is some mechanism by which contributors of HPSDR
software can announce availability and updates to whatever it is they
have, allowing the rest of us to go to one central location such as a
web or wiki page and see what's new or changed that might be of interest.

If this resonates at all with the community at large, please let me know
your ideas; if there is interest in putting together the type of roadmap
described above (or someone has a better idea), I will gladly act as
recipient of the related information (and glean what I can from what's
already out there) and attempt to put together such an entity.

Pete, N3EVL