[hpsdr] Getting PowerSDR to display SWR

Jim Sanford wb4gcs at wb4gcs.org
Mon Apr 2 17:25:48 PDT 2012

All:

For what it's worth . . ..

Crenshaw's book, Math Toolkit for Real Time Programming has some neat
and efficient algorithms for all kinds of functions -- on small, integer
computers like used to navigate Apollo to the moon.  (AND, it has some
interesting history as well...)

There might be something in there for SQRT that would allow "good
enough" simple calculations which could be implemented in the FPGA.
Might simplify latency/delay issues....

All the best and very 73,
Jim
wb4gcs at amsat.org

On 3/8/2012 9:31 PM, Phil Harman wrote:

> John,
>
> Preferable to do the calculation in the PC rather than the FPGA. There are
> approximations to SQRT that would be good enough for calculating SWR and
> are easy to implement in the FPGA.
>
> This should be straightforward to implement in PowerSDR. It's sure to work
> for a steady carrier but latency issues my cause a problem with modes that
> have amplitude variations.
>
> 73 Phil...VK6APH
>

>> HPSDR,
>>
>> I think it makes more sense for PowerSDR to do this computation than doing
>> it on PennyLane - both the Forward and Reflected Power are transmitted to
>> PowerSDR in the packet transmission.
>> (assuming the SWR cable and Alex is being used; of course.)
>>
>> Since doing fast floating point on the PC is so much simpler and faster -
>> why wouldn't we want to do the computation there?
>>
>> SWR = (1 + SQRT(ABS(Pr/Pf))  /  ( 1 - SQRT(ABS(Pr/Pf)      rho =
>> SQRT(ABS(Pr/Pf) - then
>> SWR = ( 1 + rho ) / ( 1 - rho )
>>
>> The ABS may be superfluous in this case since the ADC can't read negative
>> suppose.
>>
>> Seems simpler to do on the PC side with the current architecture.  Am I
>> missing something here?
>>
>> 73's,
>> John
>> AJ6BC
>>
>> On Thu, Mar 8, 2012 at 11:45 AM, John Westmoreland<
>> john at westmorelandengineering.com>  wrote:
>>
>>> Phil&  HPSDR,
>>>
>>> OK - took a look at the code and have some test code implemented - issue
>>> is using real #'s in the Verilog environment for the FPGA; specifically
>>> -
>>> two functions, square root and absolute value are needed to compute SWR
>>> correctly from the current hardware configuration.  Another possibility
>>> is
>>> if Voltage or Current can be extracted - then that would make the
>>> calculation simpler.
>>>  From some rough testing I did sending an SWR test value over vs. the
>>> Reflected Power - looks like it was working.  To be sure I will want to
>>> review the code for PowerSDR though.
>>>
>>> 73's,
>>> John