[hpsdr] Alex, the poor man's alternative.

Jeff Cook jeffrie at talktalk.net
Fri Apr 27 03:29:41 PDT 2012

Much though I would have liked to do so, I could not justify to myself
the expense involved in acquiring the full Alex kit, so what to do? For
some while now I've been running my HPSDR 0.5 W output into my aged
TS-830S's power output stage, and so did not need a lowpass filter.
However it was time that I moved on to using a semiconductor power
amplifier and allowed my TS-830s to retire gracefully. So for Christmas
my wife bought me a 140 W linear amplifier from the Communication
Concepts Inc people in America, which of course required me to think in
terms of a lowpass filter. After some fiddling about I eventually
decided on a second-hand LPF board taken from a FT-757GX, this board
also contains tx/rx switching, which meant that I could do away with my
outboard DIY switch. It also contains circuitry to read reflected power,
but I haven't used that up to now. I guess that the board itself must be
something in the order of 20 years old but seems to be in very good
condition, and I use the open collector outputs available from Penelope
to operate the relays on the LPF board. After rummaging around on the
second-hand market, it seemed to me that very few LPF boards
manufactured in that era used ground switching for their relays, most
went for positive switching, the FT-757 GX board is an exception to
that. It cost me £45 that's about $72, which I felt I could justify as
an acceptable spend on myself.

So if there are any other slightly less affluent members of the HPSDR
community out there that are salivating over Alex, this just might be
the way to go.

Jeff Cook.