[hpsdr] Excalibur - Rubidium Standard Calibration Question - Phase Question

Graham / KE9H ke9h at austin.rr.com
Mon Apr 2 12:32:17 PDT 2012

John:

If it is taking a total of 16 seconds to complete a cycle on the beat
indicator,
then, yes, your error is about 1/16 of a Hertz.  Since the Excalibur
oscillator
can walk around a half Hertz with day-night temperature changes, there is no
reason to try to set it any closer than that.

If you are using a known accurate reference, then do NOT use the 10 MHz
calibrate function in PowerSDR.  Or set it to no-correction.  In that case,
the frequency accuracy of the HPSDR system is that of the reference.

The accuracy of the auto frequency calibration mechanism in PowerSDR is
plus/minus one panadaptor bin, which is much greater than the fraction
of a Hertz that you just set on your Excalibur.

 From memory, one panadaptor bin is your sample rate divided by 4096,
so about 48 kHz/4096 = 11 Hz.

If you know your reference is accurate, then you are better off NOT also
using
the auto-calibrate function.

--- Graham / KE9H

==