[hpsdr] likely cure for overly-large email messages in Outlook 2010

George Byrkit ghbyrkit at chartermi.net
Wed Aug 1 13:53:04 PDT 2012

So I think that the problem was that I was responding to emails that were sent both to me
and the list, by replying 'to all' to the message that I received directly.  I receive my
list traffic in digest form.

Many who sent me messages were sending rich text or HTML messages to me.  When I replied,
all that HTML baggage was being carried to the reply, even though I had settings to 'send
to the internet as plain text' set in Outlook 2010.  That apparently ONLY covers NEW email
messages.

If I go into Options...Trust Settings... Email Security and choose to view all messages as
plain text, I think that the problem goes away.  I think this because when I compose a
reply to those messages after changing to 'view all as plain text', the typing of my reply
is black rather than blue.  The blue indicates 'fancy' text.  Fancy text takes kilobytes
more than it should, sends all kinds of extra headers, XML tags, CSS tags and other
garbage.

I cannot imagine how much worse this will get with Office 2012 or successors, as useful
settings get hidden further deeper into the obscure and arcane hierarchy from what was
quite clear and simple in Office 2005.

73,
George K9TRV