[hpsdr] Multiple receivers on single mercury with down converters

mark kilmartin markkilmartin at gmail.com
Wed Aug 22 13:11:38 PDT 2012

Just wanted to see if an idea I have been considering would be
possible/practical to implement.

Firstly what I'm trying to do.

I would like to receive dual polarization signals (initially for EME and on
the 2M band, but later on higher bands and terrestrial work)

I assume this would be fairly easy with two Mercuries followed by two down
converters.
But what I was wondering is would this be practical to implement with two
down converters each using a separate IF and fed into a single Mercury that
was in turn configured with two receivers.
e.g. down converter 1 with an IF of 50 MHz and down converter 2 with an IF
of 40 MHz and both down converters then combined and fed into Mercury.

I'm thinking this might allow the two receivers to be started with a
consistent phase relationship which currently seems to be an issue with
multiple Mercuries (and at a lower cost)

If the above is possible would it be practical to implement a similar
arrangement for transmit with Penny (not sure if multiple transmitters have
been implemented yet.

I won't be able to do any work on practically testing this for at least a
few months but wanted to get an opinion on the practicality first off.

Thank you
Mark
EI4FNB