[hpsdr] any Nios-II programmers out there?

Phil Harman phil at pharman.org
Sun Aug 5 01:29:25 PDT 2012

Hi Ken,

If its simply a matter of adding a Nios-II CPU core to the Angelia FGPA then
I can certainly assist.  Using the free Altera Quartus tools I added a
Nios-II CPU to Metis and in C programmed "Hello World" and sent it to the
TTL RS232 port.

Once the CPU core been defined and included then its really over to the C
programmers to work their magic.

However, the CPU core that you are able to build with the free Altera tools
is fairly basic and I feel you would need to purchase a subscription to gain
access to some of the higher performance Nios-II cores.

There are alternatives to the Nios CPU. I recall that John Melton was able
to add a rather nice RISC processor from opencores.org  to Metis and all the
software development tools were free.  I also think John tested another CPU
core but can't recall the details.

I also suggest we want to think carefully about what we want a CPU to do.
After all, one of our members has already added filtering, AGC and
demodulation to a Mercury board in order to produce a receiver that does not
need any DSP in an associated PC.  That still leaves a bandscope and
waterfall but there are free FFT libraries for FPGAs that we could use.

73 Phil...VK6APH