[hpsdr] any Nios-II programmers out there?

Hermann hvh.net at gmail.com
Sun Aug 5 03:08:51 PDT 2012

Dear Ken, Phil, All,

I can only second Phil's remarks, and would like to add my 2 cent:

Although it seems that Altera has made considerable progress with the NIOS
II (compared to NIOS I, which had a rather disappointing performance, as I
encountered years ago in a totally different domain), it still has to be
proven, if the performance is sufficient when using 'standard' methods
provided by Altera.

If not, we are really entering embedded real-time programming, that is, we
have to care about a real-time OS (different from Linux), the scheduling of
a RTOS, memory management, probably custom instructions in order to use
special FPGA-accelerated implementations, etc. I'm not saying that this is
impossible, but considerable efforts are needed. Altera is providing a tool
chain for that (NIOS II EDS), which is free, but a 'ready-made' RTOS need a
separate production license, which is not free. Maybe there are other
RTOSes which can be used, but this has to be clarified. Also, one has to
consider a possible Open Source license model for such a code (as I
understood from Joe and Abhi, the code should be Open Source).

I don't want to be interpreted as being pessimistic - on the contrary! But
just wanted to point out some issues on which we should ponder a little.
But I'm pretty sure Abhi has already considered these!

73, Hermann
DL3HVH