[hpsdr] any Nios-II programmers out there?

Vern Kollas spoonman1227 at yahoo.com
Sun Aug 5 11:05:32 PDT 2012

Here is something that has interested me along these lines.  Not sure if the ARM chip has enough horsepower for our needs, but I would like to
think it would be a better solution than a soft-core...

http://www.altera.com/b/soc-fpgas.html

If
 I wasn't so busy with my EET classes, I have been wanting to explore
using the Beagleboard for CPU and DSP needs to replace the computer side
 of things.  However, it seems that programming for the DSP on the BB
isn't very well documented, and I just haven't had much free time to
play.  I also have a Raspberry Pi now, but I see that John Melton has
already been making progress here.  I believe I
 read somewhere it also has DSP capabilities, but I think it is disabled
 and to get any information on the DSP, you have to have a NDA with
Broadcom?

73!

Vern - KC8YOH

On 05/08/12 03:25, Jeremy McDermond wrote:

> On Aug 4, 2012, at 6:38 PM, Chris Albertson <albertson.chris at gmail.com> wrote:

 It looks like you can write code in "C" using Eclipse and then compile
it for Nios-II.   So you are really just doing C development.

 The other way might be to use a different soft core.  I'd prefer one
that ran Linux.  That would be just about anything, ARM, Sparc,....

 When I did a look around
 at open source embedded operating systems that ran on the NIOS
processors for possible use on Metis, it wasn't the processor that was
the issue; it was the available DRAM.  The FPGA itself doesn't have
enough DRAM on board to fit any OS that I could find out there.  It
needs some sort of external DIMM or extra DRAM off the chip.  It
wouldn't necessarily be expensive, but someone would have to design the
hardware to do so.  It'll also suck up pins on the FPGA that may be used
 for other things.  Note that the Cyclone IV FPGA Eval board from Altera
 has 128Mb of DRAM on board to accommodate such things.

 Defined Radio Discussion List *****