[hpsdr] any Nios-II programmers out there?

Chris Albertson albertson.chris at gmail.com
Sun Aug 5 16:50:15 PDT 2012

On Sun, Aug 5, 2012 at 11:05 AM, Vern Kollas <spoonman1227 at yahoo.com> wrote:

> Here is something that has interested me along these lines.  Not sure if
> the ARM chip has enough horsepower for our needs, but I would like to
> think it would be a better solution than a soft-core...

When one has a large FPGA available the real-time filtering and FFT an so
one can be done there.   The soft CPU would not have to do much, I'd think
only interface type jobs, network protocol stack and so on.

The best feature of the Nios II soft core is that the C compiler can
synthesize  an FPGA solution for the inner loops.  Another words the Nios
CPU can be extended with special application specific instructions.  With
such extension the soft core becomes a very powerful CPU.    Also Linus
does run on Nios II.  (as it also does on ARM)

Chris Albertson
Redondo Beach, California