[hpsdr] Introducing Angelia

Joe Martin K5SO k5so at valornet.com
Tue Aug 7 16:01:31 PDT 2012

Hi Phil,

Passing the phase word instead of the actual frequency seems to improve things when using multiple Mercury receiver boards on Atlas but it's not good enough, I'm afraid.  The phase relationships between boards seem to be stable under frequency/band changes alright but the values change after a power cycle of the Atlas bus.

It appears to me that the approach used in Angelia is the better method; i.e.,  multiple ADCs on a single board.   Unless, of course, I'm not implementing the approach you suggested in the precise way that you did.  Actually, we can't do it precisely the same way, as you know, because you are working with a single board, Hermes, not a Penny/Merc combination for your VNA.

In my test I simply calculate the phase word in Metis as it normally would be done in Mercury then pass the 32-bit phase word to the Merc boards as one of the frequencis in the Atlas broadcast to the Mercs which then use it as a direct input to the receiver module(s) in Mercury instead of using the original C122_sync_phase_word variable that is calculated in Mercury.

Thanks for the suggestion though; it does seem to help, but not enough for repeatable nulling/steering/DF applications with multiple Mercs, I think.  To solve this issue properly we'll need to put all the ADCs on a single board, in my opinion.

Abhi and I are presently discussing how we might do that very thing using 4 ADCs on a single board on the Atlas bus.

73,  Joe K5SO