[hpsdr] eSSB for SDR's

Tony Langdon vk3jed at gmail.com
Sat Aug 25 01:02:02 PDT 2012

At 05:25 PM 8/25/2012, Helmut, DC6NY wrote:

>please consider that TX bandwidth on ham frequencies up to 25 MHz is limited
>to max. 3 KHz due to international regulations, sometimes due to national
>law. It's a question of ham spirit and courtesy to follow these rules.
>Voodoo is not only technical nonsense, it is a disturbance for all other
>hams.
>Therefore it was a good idea to limit TX bandwidth also approx. to 3 KHz in
>the current software.

It depends where you are.  In Australia, the bandwidth limit is 8kHz
on 160-12 metres.  Good amateur practice would dictate that you don't
use wider eSSB when the bands are crowded, but when the bands are
relatively clear, I don't see any problems, provided the legal
aspects are taken care of.  I would like to see bandwidth limits
imposed by amateurs operating within the law and processing
limitations, rather than arbitrary limitations.

73 de VK3JED / VK3IRL
http://vkradio.com