[hpsdr] Multi-Rx operation w/Alex

Rod Brink kq6f at comcast.net
Sat Dec 1 09:42:46 PST 2012

I got to wondering how Hermes (or Mercury) would behave when Alex is used and multiple Rx operation is invoked.  In Rx the antenna signal is routed first through the Tx LPFs and then through the Rx bandpass filters.  So the question is: if each receiver is tuned to a different band, which set of filters is selected?

I ran a little test.  I don't have the Rx bandpass filters, only the Tx LPFs but am certain the behavior is the same.  What seems to happen is that initially the filter corresponding to VFO A is selected.  When the cursor is moved to a different band on the panadaptor and the frequency is changed the filters are instantly switched to that band.

Under these conditions signals on all receivers cannot be simultaneously seen on the panadaptor.  They would be were it not for Alex's bandpass filters getting in the way.

Isn't the whole purpose of multiple Rx operation to give contestors a view of signals simultaneously occurring on multiple bands...?

73,

Rod, KQ6F