[hpsdr] help please - getting started with secondhand HPSDR board set

Laurence Barker laurence at cmlelectronics.co.uk
Sun Dec 2 13:24:42 PST 2012

Good evening

I have purchased a secondhand set of HPSDR boards. I have followed the
"quickstart" guide and gone through all of the steps successfully. but I
didn't get a working receiver at first.

The PowerSDR I got from following the guide displays the version in the
title bar "KD5TFD 2Feb11b - derived from V1.10.4+ BASE SVN 2025"

I have gone through the "firmware upgrade" procedures. All steps reported
completed without errors. I have mercury v3.3, Penelope v1.7 code. I had to
edit the batch file because the quartus code you can download is now v12.1,
but it was clear what I needed to do.

Guessing that the PowerSDR may be an older version, I downloaded v2.2.3 from
the "downloads" page. That installs and runs, and tells me I have invalid
firmware. "you have ozy:1.8 mercury:3.3 penny:1.6". But ozy loads from the
PC at power up.. How do you set its version?

I read somewhere else that you need to run "initozy" every time you power up
ozy. I ran that and re-ran PowerSDR and the receiver sprang into life. It
now reports v2.4 for ozy

So my question is. what is the correct procedure to power up the hpsdr
boards so that ozy loads with the correct firmware please? Do I need to run
"initozy" every time - it's not in the quickstart guide?

Laurence Barker, G8NJJ