[hpsdr] Looks like I fried my PTT output

John Marvin jm-hpsdr at themarvins.org
Fri Dec 14 22:28:02 PST 2012

  So PTT out seems to be permanently "on" now.  I'm not sure how it
happened, but I believe it happened when I was doing some "high" power
testing. High is in quotes since it was just the highest I had gone up
to then since I was maxing out my dummy load, but I believe the highest
I got was about 20W.  The PTT input of my amp is basically 12V through
an opto-isolator, so I'm not sure what went wrong.  The best I can come
up with is that the PTT input wire is in the same internal board
connector as the antenna output, so maybe some voltage was coupled into
the PTT circuit.

Anyway, looking at the schematic it would appear that the best, and
perhaps only candidate for repair would be Q2, which is a 2N7002K FET.
So I'll have to order one (or more)_ of those and see if I can fix
this.  I think I may have to come up with some isolation on the Hermes
end to prevent this from happening again, i.e. I'll probably come up
with a circuit that I can fit in the case that has the PTT output drive
a relay.

Anything I've missed or should check?

Thanks,

John