[hpsdr] Hermes and Ethernet Switch Mystery

John Marvin jm-hpsdr at themarvins.org
Mon Dec 10 15:23:25 PST 2012

Joe, you haven't mentioned whether or not the switches you tried are at
least 100 Mbit capable (if not they must be fairly old switches). If
they are then the problem is most likely not the switch you are using,
since you say that they are full duplex and appear to work properly as
part of your computers connection to the internet.

my guess is that you have an issue with how Hermes gets its IP address.
When directly connected both the PC and Hermes will use APIPA addresses
in the 169.254.x.x range once their DHCP requests fail. When they aren't
directly connected both the Hermes and your PC will send DHCP requests,
where one may succeed and the other fail. If they both do not get
connected (assuming your switch functions properly and is full duplex).

The question is where is the DHCP server on your network and how is it
configured? If your PC gets a DHCP address and the Hermes does not then
your PC will be on a "different" network than the Hermes, which will
come up using an APIPA address. If you consult the Hermes User Manual
page 16 documents the meaning of various LED's, and there is a group of
10 leds together that contains "LED7" which indicates what the DHCP
status for the board is. If the led is flashing rapidly this indicates
that the DHCP request timed out and Hermes is using an APIPA address.

In most cases your DHCP server is going to be either a router or
cable/DSL modem on your network (it will depend on whether or not a
router is built into your "modem"). Since you've tried multiple
switches, most likely the issue is your DHCP server configuration,
although in most cases the default configuration should be adequate for
almost any home network. Have you customized your DHCP configuration?

If you absolutely want to verify that the switch is not the problem then
you should try just connecting your PC and your Hermes to the switch
without connecting anything else to the switch (i.e. the rest of your
home network where you DHCP server most likely resides). This would
essentially be the same scenario as a direct connection, i.e. both your
PC and Hermes will be using APIPA addresses. If this works then your
switch is not the issue. If it doesn't then make sure that the switch is
at least 100 Mbit capable and/or try yet another switch.

If you still can't find the problem it would be helpful if you share
more about your network topology.

John
AC0ZG