[hpsdr] Hermes and Ethernet Switch Mystery

Joe Giacobello, K2XX k2xx at swva.net
Wed Dec 12 08:30:56 PST 2012

Many thanks to Frank, Dave and John regarding my Ethernet switch
problems.  I couldn't get either of the two low cost full duplex
switches to work (Zuni ZS105F and Trendset TEG-S50g).The Zuni is 100 Mbs
and the Trendset is  2000 Mbs in full duplex.  Based on what little I've
been able to learn, there are various performance levels of switches and
the more capable ones are relatively expensive.  The ones that I tried
were less than $20 each.

After fiddling with my network settings without success, I bit the
bullet and scavenged an old PCI NIC card from a retired computer and
installed it in my shack computer. It's now working perfectly with the
Hermes and PSDR.

John, I am using a DSL modem/router here with ports throughout the house
via CAT5 cable. (I also have a wireless  access point.)  I had checked
the LED behavior on my Hermes when I originally got it up and running,
and they seemed to be behaving correctly.  However, I didn't recheck
them when I was having the communications problems with the computer.  I
should go back and do that.  I believe that I did try just connecting
the Hermes and the computer via the switch without success, but I should

At any rate, now that I have the Hermes conveniently and routinely
linked with my computer, I can go ahead and fully integrate it into the
shack and compare its receiver with those of my "conventional" transceivers.

Thanks to all for the help.

73, Joe
K2XX