[hpsdr] Fw: Hermes/Metis Gnuradio update

Tom McDermott tom.mcdermott4 at yahoo.com
Mon Dec 10 18:59:17 PST 2012

Hi John - the gnuradio software was tested with Hermes V2.0 on Ubuntu 12.04
without Alex or any other boards. Perhaps there are settings specific to
Metis/Penelope/Mercury/Alex needed to set relays or other things. Metis is
initialized with the same register values that PSDR sends (with PSDR set
in the Hermes mode).  I do not have an Atlas based system to test with,
so any help is much appreciated.

The registers setup are:

C0 = 0x00 C1 = 0xE4 (for 48k)  C2 = zero C3 = zero C4 = 0x04 (for one Rx).
C0 = 0x02 The Tx NCO frequency
C0 = 0x04 The Rx1 NCO frequency - this corresponds to out0 in GRC
C0 = 0x06 the Rx2 NCO frequency - this corresponds to out1 in GRC
C0 = 0x08 zero (Rx3 NCO)
C0 = 0x0A zero (Rx4 NCO)
C0 = 0x0C zero (Rx5 NCO)
C0 = 0x0E zero (Rx6 NCO)
C0 = 0x10 zero (Rx7 NCO)
C0 = 0x12  C1 = TxDrive  C2= zero  C3 = zero  C4 = zero
C0 = 0x14  zero (the preamp on/off currently uses the V1.8 mode).
C0 = 0x16  C1 = zero  C2 = 0x17  C3 = zero  C4 = zero
C0 = 0x18  zero.  This register is undefined in the spec, but PwrSDR zeros it,
so I did too.

The MOX bit is controlled via the GRC control panel with Off, Vox, and On modes.

-- Tom, N5EG