[hpsdr] Hermes/Metis Gnuradio update

Tom McDermott tom.mcdermott4 at yahoo.com
Mon Dec 10 18:18:10 PST 2012

Hi Berndt,

The audio sink block must be set to non-blocking mode. The default value is
to block (which causes stuttering). The saved application example should override
the GRC default, but it's the first thing to check. In the non-blocking mode there will be
occasional over or under runs as the Hermes rate and the audio card rate may be
slightly different, but it does not lead to audible distortion. The example SSB
example decimates down to 16 Ksps to the audio card compensating for the Rx
sample rate.

The GRC Hermes module is full-duplex. The setting of constant zero to the input
connector sets the transmitter to no output. If nothing is connected to the input, GRC
will show an error. Setting TxDrive to zero does not completely kill the transmit signal,
so it is necessary to also send zeros. The Hermes module has a settable switch to
override any Tx symbols and zero them out when receiving, but GRC still needs to
process samples from the input.

I could not find a way to time the symbols to Hermes from gnuradio or detect Tx buffer
overrun, so the software counts received packets from Hermes and schedules transmit
packets to Hermes as a result (the ratio of Tx packets to Rx packets depends on the
number of receivers and the receiver sample rate).

-- Tom, N5EG