[hpsdr] KISS 1.1.24 used with VAC from digital program?

Dave Larsen kv0s.dave at gmail.com
Sun Dec 16 08:23:27 PST 2012

George and Hermann

I agree that it is time to look at this problem differently  we have a
great tool in TCP or UDP in all of our programs.  All we need is at
standard format for the commands  and we could write a class to code
and decode the commands.  In the ghpsdt3-Qt code I have written a
logging program that read frequency and mode from QtRadio so that
these items are filled in automatically

the command follow the ghpsdr3 command style

"frequency 14.250000"

or

"mode USB"

John Melton has been experimenting with a command string that is in XML

<command>
  <frequency>14.250000</frequency>
  <mode>USB</mode>
</command>

We could also consider a command string in JSON

such as:

{ frequency : 14.250000, mode : USB }

All we need is to agree on a command set and a method on how new
commands will be added.
and write some  C, C++ C# code to process packets. that can be set and
received via TCP or UDP
the choice here  is if we need a ACK on each command or just a stream
of commands.

I would be willing to working with each of you to develop this system
maybe someone could write a HPSDR string to CAT converter for backward
compatibility.

Dave, KV0S

On Sun, Dec 16, 2012 at 9:43 AM, Hermann <hvh.net at gmail.com> wrote:

> Dear George,
>
> thanks also for your answer! And you have hit a point where I stumbled upon as soon as I started thinking about: re-sampling and keeping 'audio' or whatever stream smooth, that is, in a multi-threaded application you have to carefully synchronize data streaming. There is already a very nice example in cuteSDR by Moe Wheatley, AE4JY.
>
> I have not looked into PowerSDR's VAC implementation, but even just sending the audio to the local soundcard is tricky, since, as you know, to every 504 samples of audio data we add 8 Bytes of command and control information to the stream. But maybe its much more simple than I think of it now. Need to start coding!
>
> Thanks again,
> 73, Hermann
> DL3HVH
>

> On Sun, Dec 16, 2012 at 3:59 PM, George Byrkit <ghbyrkit at chartermi.net> wrote:
>>
>> Dear Hermann,
>> You've gotten some very substantial and informative answers to the 'what is VAC' question,
>> far beyond what I could have done!
>>
>> I would add that in some previous discussions on this list, the issue of the data rate of
>> the audio data was also brought up.  PowerSDR only supports the 48k sample rate, I think.
>> That means that it doesn't do the more common 44.1k sample rate and similar.  So a lot of
>> other programs that you might 'plug in' to PowerSDR don't work or don't work properly
>> because of this mismatch in the data rate.  There was discussion at that time about things
>> like data-rate-converters, which might be used.  It would seem that these would have to be
>> built into PowerSDR (or cuSDR or other software) to adapt PowerSDR's internal design to
>> the rest of the outside world.
>>
>> I'm likely discussing this issue poorly, due mostly to only being peripherally aware of
>> it, and not knowing enough about actually programming audio data streams to speak with
>> real knowledge on it.  Others know a lot more, from what I recall, and hopefully, they can
>> point out the previous discussion or recall the essence of it.
>>
>> 73,
>> George K9TRV

KV0S - Dave Larsen
Columbia, MO, USA