[hpsdr] Penny Whistle Bias

Graham / KE9H KE9H at austin.rr.com
Sun Dec 23 11:37:28 PST 2012

Dave:

Yes.  If you are set up to watch the odd order (3rd, 5th, 7th)
intermodulation products in real
time, feel free to play with the bias (Idq = quiescent drain current)
levels.  A spectrum analyzer, or just a
Mercury looking at the output of the PennyWhistle through an attenuator
works
well.

I found that the best IM performance came at around 350 to 425 mA Idq
per device, at the expense
of giving up a little peak output power.

You can run the individual transistor Idq up to 1.5 amps and it won't
hurt anything,
other than warm up the heat sink

You may also find other points where the transistors are highly
unbalanced, you can
null one or more of the odd order products.

If you watch the heat sink temperature (say keep it below 60 degrees C.)
and the
total drain currents below 3 Amps, you can't hurt the PA.  It has a lot
of heat sink
for the power level.

In other words, feel free to experiment.

--- Graham / KE9H

==