[hpsdr] Teamspeak3 recording levels

AA8K73 GMail aa8k73 at gmail.com
Tue Feb 14 17:07:41 PST 2012

This is a response to an off-list message that
I thought several might be interested in.

Yes, the audio levels on TeamSpeak3 were
initially varied.  This was especially annoying
when someone accidentally "puffed" on their
microphone and the Automatic Voice Gain Control
feature of TeamSpeak3 turned them way down and
had a slow recovery time.

We tried having the Automatic Voice Gain Control
turned off, but the wide range of audio was even
more annoying, so we now recommend enabling the
AVGC option on Settings, Option, Capture.  Most
have enabled it, so there are only a couple that
are still extremely loud and quiet.  Make sure
that TeamSpeak Capture Echo Reduction and Echo
Cancellation are disabled, as we use Push-To-Talk.

The long AVGC recovery is still irritating.
So far, I have only found the agc_level and
agc_max_gain parameters.

The "dings" in the audio occur when someone has
sent a text chat message to the group.  I have
been recording with the Sound Pack Volume 25 dB
down from the voice level.  I now set them
35 dB down from voice.  Let me know if the
notifications still interfere with our voices
and I will disable them entirely.

Thanks for listening,

Mike - AA8K