[hpsdr] Chirp Beacon Callsign Encoding

Larry Koziel k8mu599mi at gmail.com
Thu Feb 9 12:12:24 PST 2012

Phil,

If you're referring to Appendix B of K1JT's JT65 Protocol, I believe
that's a list of prefixes
that can be prepended to a callsign ahead of the slant bar to indicate
operation outside
the country of license, VK/K8MU. Section 4 on JT65 Source Encoding
explains how the
callisigns themselves are encoded, and he explains how that should any
callsign according
to the "rules by which standard callsigns are constructed."

As I understand it, the original protocol supported only "bare"
callsigns--no
prepended or appended modifiers. These were added later with some
limitations. The
list that is missing G, GM, GW, GD does include M, MM, MW, and MD which
are sufficient
to indicate the country of portable operation. Likewise, K is the only
US prefix on the list.

73,

Larry K8MU