[hpsdr] Android Tablet Recommendation

Curt, WE7U curt.we7u at gmail.com
Thu Feb 16 12:59:49 PST 2012

On Thu, 16 Feb 2012, Aivars Straupe wrote:

>  Tim!!! Everything depends on your wallet ;-) It's possible to buy enough powerfull for 250$ or cheaper. If you need really powerfull, then you should look on something with Tegra, but it's more expensive.

I've snagged a couple of Tegra2 tablets off Woot that were relatively inexpensive.  I'd suggest looking for tablets with the Tegra3 processor if you want a bit more power...  They're just starting to come out now.  Also look for Ice Cream Sandwich (Android 4.x) as the OS instead of Froyo (Android 2.2), Gingerbread (Android 2.3), or Honeycomb (Android 3.x).  ICS is the latest.

   Tegra2 = dual-core w/NVidia graphics built on-chip.
   Tegra3 = quad-core w/NVidia graphics built on-chip.

Actually the Tegra3 has yet another (5th) core which is low power:  It shuts off the four high-speed cores and runs on the 5th when the CPU requirements are low.

--
Curt, WE7U.        http://www.eskimo.com/~archer
APRS Wiki:  http://info.aprs.net/