[hpsdr] SDR Cost Comparisons vs Hermes

jim goldenberg n1kwz at yahoo.com
Thu Feb 23 15:45:27 PST 2012

Will the new schematic ever be uploaded to the WIKI, or can a bill-of-materials be published?

The original premise for Hermes was to combine functions to a single board (lower cost), now look at the picture of the prototype Hermes on the WIKI. It looks similar to Mercury, major components. I believe Mercury currently sells for $469, so then why is Hermes double that price. Only major differences I see are a different ADC, Ethernet PHY and connector, not sure if there is an Ethernet MAC or royalty based IP MAC core, and a new PCB. Do those items add up to $450 of added cost? I don't think it should and if they do then what can we do to reduce those costs?

What am I missing? Maybe the estimate of $900 was just wrong.

Jim, N1KWZ