[hpsdr] spikes

Erik Anderson erikba at odysseus.anderson.name
Fri Feb 24 19:23:32 PST 2012

My wife is likely to be out of town this weekend so it may be a good time
to "shut down the house" and see what happens.

The fact that I saw the same pattern at the local ACS meeting (which I
think was inside of an unused aircraft storage bay) but a clean signal east
of the mountains leads me to believe that (1) it's not my equipment (it
would be nearly impossible to resolve if my netbook was the source) and (2)
it's not a _single_ piece of equipment that is doing this.

Even if I track down the local source of interference, it still doesn't
really give a solution as to what to do with it (if I can't avoid it).  The
closest thing I can think of is (1) make sure the case is as close to a
faraday cage as possible (i.e. ground the heck out of it) and (2) stick a
~1 MHz HPF on the incoming antenna connection and hope that all the spikes
are just harmonics (may start out with a single tuned inline capacitor as
coils seem to be more difficult to find).

Thank you all for your feedback here.  I do feel bad for asking so many
people for help for so long a time in this, hopefully this will help focus
me on resolving this.

I'm actually surprised that the Extra test covers so much of this kind of
stuff too, which was a nice kick in the butt on learning how to fix this...