[hpsdr] SDR Cost Comparisons vs Hermes

Rob Frohne rob.frohne at wallawalla.edu
Fri Feb 24 21:11:17 PST 2012

Hi All,

I apologize.  I guess I caused some grief and misunderstanding.  It was
not my purpose.  All I wanted to do was let those with limited budgets,
overseas or here know that there were lower cost options that were
planned by TAPR and the designers.  Phil sent email to all of us who
didn't get one of the prototype boards, and said that production bare
boards would be available.   George and/or everyone else who felt
offended, you have my apology.  I did not mean to say that a built board
was not worth every penny of $900.  I just can't afford it, and I was
sharing what I was considering to be able to afford one.  Kirk, KD7IRS
still has my HPSDR setup.  He put it to good use developing a lot of the
Verilog code in HPSDR, doing video tutorials for us all. etc., and I
haven't asked for it back, because he may again do some more
development.  I'm using one of Tony's affordable Softrock Ensemble RXTX
units for my play and software development.  I enjoyed building it,
though it would have been easier and faster for me if it had been all
surface mount.

Again, my apologies!  Email can easily be misunderstood, and I hope that
was the problem, and that you will forgive my errors.

73,

Rob
KL7NA