[hpsdr] SDR Cost Comparisons vs Hermes

Bruce Beford bruce.beford at myfairpoint.net
Sat Feb 25 12:19:16 PST 2012

Tom,
Thank you for your post on this subject. People appear to have lost sight of
what it takes to bring concepts like Hermes to production status, even a
limited production. In addition to the over-arching principle that you have
described, there are the already expended costs of development that should
be recouped. As you said, were it not for TAPR's willingness to participate
and subsidize a lot of what is now and has taken place, openHPSDR would
certainly not be where it is today.

I for one, never expected Hermes to sell for 1/3 to 1/2 of the target price
recently quoted. Apparently, some did. Personally, I think 2x the cost of a
Mercury board for what is essentially Mercury, PennyLane, Metis and
Excalibur all in one seems pretty reasonable to me.

My hat is off, and I offer humble thanks to all those who have worked
together to bring us the openHPSDR series of projects.

73, and carry on.
-Bruce, N1RX

> For the record, just in case there is any confusion on this point, TAPR's
> overriding philosophy for HPSDR has been to provide the hardware at a
price
> that is less than the typical individual could achieve on his own. And we
> have kept the DIY guys in mind by making the boards available, and on
> occasion some of the difficult to buy or expensive parts when we had
extras...

(snipped for brevity)