[hpsdr] SDR Cost Comparisons vs Hermes

Tom Holmes tholmes at woh.rr.com
Sat Feb 25 10:49:18 PST 2012

For the record, just in case there is any confusion on this point, TAPR's
overriding philosophy for HPSDR has been to provide the hardware at a price
that is less than the typical individual could achieve on his own. And we
have kept the DIY guys in mind by making the boards available, and on
occasion some of the difficult to buy or expensive parts when we had extras.

Having been the TAPR Treasurer since 2004, I can personally vouch for the
fact that every project is reviewed against that benchmark.

I would also remind all of you that were it not for the considerable talent,
skill, knowledge, and volunteered time brought to TAPR's part of the HPSDR
project by Scotty and Dan, there would have been no TAPR-provided
boards/kits available, nor would the development have been able to proceed
as far as it has so that we can even have Hermes to talk about today.

This is not to deny the impressive contributions of the developers; just
simply to point out that getting from a few prototypes to a significant
volume of assembled and sellable boards took at least as much effort and
talent.

Hermes' cost to produce will be what it is. It is an ambitious project with
the potential, like all the HPSDR boards, for things to not go quite as
planned. But the folks doing the work have shown tremendous dedication to
this endeavor, and I have a lot of confidence that the team will make every
effort to meet the performance goals at the lowest cost possible. This isn't
driven by a profit motive at TAPR since the selling price is driven by the
cost, not by some 'what the market will bear' thought process.

So please be patient. Let the folks doing the heavy lifting on this do what
they do best. While it is OK to challenge them to do better, don't lose
sight of the fact that they are already doing it quite well.

Tom Holmes, N8ZM
Tipp City, OH
EM79

Aivars.