[hpsdr] Single chip SDRs

Terry Fox tfox at knology.net
Thu Jan 19 21:12:56 PST 2012

I have been playing with the AFEDRI8201 for a couple of years now (the
predecessor to the AFE8220), based on a board designed by Dr. John Schwacke.
Since we live in the Charleston, SC area, we ended up calling it the
Charleston Receiver (very clever, we are).   Some of the documentation can
be found at www.amrad.org under SDR & DSP.  John's original work can be
found at:  http://sdrtrack.drupalcafe.com/     A couple dozen of these
boards have been made so far.

This receiver uses a small board with the '8201, a VGA, and some switches to
bypass the VGA.  It then plugs into a Digilent Nexys2 FPGA board (Xilinx
Spartan-3E), using two PMOD sockets.  John's original software ran using
GNURadio under Linux, or he wrote a basic spectrum analyzer for Windows.
I've added support to Quisk (both Linux and Windows) to run the Charleston
board.  I'd like to add interfaces to Winrad, KISS, and PowerSDR someday....

The biggest issue was that the original sample clock oscillator ran at
80MHz, NOT a multiple of 48k.  It was OK for John, as he used a 32k playback
sample rate, but some of my PCs at the time did not have that rate.  Hence,
I changed the oscillator freq to 76.8MHz (now an Si570).  I also made a few
other small changes to improve performance.

I have been working on a newer design based on the '8220 and an AD9744 for
an exciter.  The big limitations are that the ADCs are only 12-bit, and as
Phil says, the I/Q samples outputs are only 16-bit.  Therefore, the overall
dynamic range is somewhat limited.  Some of this can be made up for by
external bandpass filters, and controlling the VGA in front of the chip.

I recognize that these are NOT high-performance, but they are less costly,
and less complicated to use.  The code in the Nexys2 board for the
Charleston board is not much more than a couple of FIFO buffers, and SPI and
SSI interfaces to the '8201, and it uses the FX2 for USB interfacing to the
host.  Originally, the Charleston board was costing less than $70 to
duplicate, but TI has virtually stopped making the '8201 available, and its
cost has jumped.  I believe the Digikey price for the AFE8220 was around $50
or so the last time I checked, much more than the $15 or so I paid for the
first '8201.  Plus, the Digilent Nexys2 went from $99 to $149
(non-academic).  So, the reproduction cost has gone up quite a bit.

Now I'm looking at a board that has the '8220, AD9744, Xilinx Spartan-3E
(500k, non-BGA), and Wiznet W5300 for 100bt interface to the host.  I'm not
sure about USB interfacing, but am toying with sharing the FPGA in/outs
between the W5300 and an FX2.  The FX2 is a nice way to "program" the FPGA
(directly or the EEPROM).  I'm a total FPGA beginner, and learning Verilog
has been a challenge, but fun.  I'm hoping to make a less-expensive DDC/DUC
board with this combination of parts.  I believe this is the future, not
QSDs/QSEs.  Right now, I'm beginning to learn about the W5300, and
interfacing it to FPGAs.  Fun, fun, fun.  (Do I use a softcore, or not use a
softcore???  Just a state-machine??  Oh boy.)

Anyway, that's what I am playing with when other projects don't get in the
way, which all too often.
73s
Terry, WB4JFI