[hpsdr] Hermes, Apollo and Anan-10 information

Scott Cowling scotty at tonks.com
Sun Jul 15 14:14:02 PDT 2012

Hi all,

To help answer as many questions as I can all at once, I have
compiled a sort of FAQ on Hermes/Apollo/Anan-10. It has been a
convoluted path to get to where we are today, and I hope that this
clears up some of the questions on how we got here and where we are going.

Attached is a PDF, but the text is reproduced below.  If I have
missed any points or made any errors in my observations, please feel
free to comment. (Actually, feel free to comment anyway! :-)

73,
Scotty WA2DFI

***************************************

openHPSDR Hermes Information:

Abhi created the Hermes Gerbers, and hence, owns the copyright of the
Hermes PCB design.

Abhi has released (or will release) the Hermes PCB Gerbers under the
TAPR NCL (non-commercial license), which allows individuals to build
a small number of units for their own use, but prohibits commercial
manufacture of Hermes without permission.

Licenses for production runs of Hermes are issued by Abhi. The first
production run was licensed to TAPR. The second production run has
been licensed to Apache Labs, Pvt, an Indian company with which Abhi
is associated. Assignment of licenses for any subsequent production
runs are under Abhi's control.

Abhi has licensed only one production run of Hermes to TAPR. This is
one reason that the order window is short, and TAPR will only build
one run of a fixed number of boards.

TAPR-produced Hermes will be produced in the same manner and sold on
the same terms as previous openHPSDR boards. The boards will be fully
assembled and tested, with support available via the openHPSDR
mailing list.  TAPR does provide some support on an as-available basis.

India-produced Hermes board warranty will be supplied by Apache Labs,
Pvt and/or its assignees. Ken, N9VV has set up Apache-Labs-Support
U.S.A.  TAPR is not affiliated with Ken's effort in any way.  Please
contact Ken or Abhi for India-produced Hermes sales and warranty
information, as TAPR has no involvement in this area.

OpenHPSDR Apollo and Anan-10 Information:

OpenHPSDR Apollo is a 15W 160M/6M PA with LPF, T/R switching and an
ATU (automatic antenna tuner). Apollo and Hermes fit together in a
standard, off-the shelf enclosure.

Anan-10 provides a custom enclosure, 10W 160M/6M PA with LPF, T/R
switching and three antenna ports.

OpenHPSDR Apollo is an openHPSDR project.

Anan-10 was independently developed by Abhi. TAPR has no involvement
in the Anan-10 project. Anan-10 release status is unknown.

TAPR is working on production of Apollo, since Hermes was designed to
work with this board.  Production will be somewhat later than
Anan-10, and the price should be comparable.

TAPR is also working on custom end-plates that will transform the
off-the-shelf enclosure into a semi-custom enclosure for Hermes and
Apollo. The standard enclosure with custom end plates should be in
the same price class as the Alex enclosure (under $50).

Since TAPR's one licensed Hermes production run is build-to-order,
there can be no TAPR-produced complete Hermes/Apollo
systems.  TAPR-produced Hermes boards will all be gone by the time
Apollo is in production. However, when Apollo boards become
available, they can be added to an existing Hermes system to make a
complete 15W radio.