[hpsdr] Comparison

Ken N9VV (Win-8) n9vv at wowway.com
Sun Jul 15 12:35:18 PDT 2012

Hi Roger, I am a totally biased user. I believe you are comparing apples
and horse shoes (hihihi).

[1] If you are comparing hardware architecture, the beautiful FLEX-3000
is a Generation-II QSD (quadrature sampling mixer/detector) while the
OpenHPSDR architecture is based on the next Generation-III DDC/DUC
(Direct Down Conversion/Direct Up Conversion)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital_Down_Converter
and there are huge differences in the two designs. DDC/DUC is the
fundamental architecture of modern Cell Phones and the 200-million+
world wide user base.  DDC/DUC is also mandated by the U.S. Government
as the next .MIL and Emergency Responder Radio architecture.

[2] FLEX Radio's success in the .GOV/.MIL/.EDU environments has cause
them to close their source (SmartSDR) and firmware in the future.
OpenHPSDR is just that, *open*, and from all indications will remain so <g>

[3] if you are comparing software, PowerSDR(r) from FLEX has 6+ years of
end-user contributions to it. FLEX listened to it's customers and
incorporated the many Rx and Tx functions that are so important to Ham
Radio operation. Fortunately, the OpenHPSDR also enjoys the benefits of
PowerSDR in a current version thanks to the amazing adaptions and work
done by W5WC, K5SO, and K9TRV, KD5TFD, and many other OpenHPSDR members.
Then there are 7 other software packages that you can use with the
OpenHPSDR, Hermes, and ANAN-10 systems:
(a) cuSDR by Hermann DL3HVH known for it's amazing CUDA/OpenCL parallelism
(b) QtRadio by John Melton G0ORX/N6LYT
(c) K.I.S.S. by Phil Harman VK6APH
(d) ghpsdr3-alex (adaptation of QtRadio)
(e) Heterodyne - MAC only application by Jeremy McDermond
(f) CWSkimmer - by VE3NEA (to be available on Hermes/ANAN-10 in future)
(g) SDR-Radio by Simon HB9DRV (to be available in the future)
(h) many surprises yet to come....

O.K. flame suit is on. I know you will get loads of good information
from all the talented Engineers in the OpenHPSDR group. I am just a
simple "Joe Ham" end-user.
Here is an UNofficial paper I wrote about the differences:

We are indeed blessed to be alive in this exciting time for Software
Defined Radio's.
72/73 de Ken N9VV
http://www.n9vv.com/N9VV-Apache-Labs.html
http://www.Apache-Labs.com