[hpsdr] Penelope Troubleshooting

David McQuate mcquate at sonic.net
Sun Jul 29 19:26:00 PDT 2012

Making excellent progress!
JP2 and JP3 pin 2 should have almost identical signals.  The filter
consisting of L3, L5, L8 and associated capacitors are a low-pass
filter, whose purpose is to block aliased signals (those between 55 MHz
and 122 MHz) and, of course, the DAC clock frequency at 122.88 MHz.
Since your scope BW is less than the clock frequency you won't see the
clock on either side of the filter, so seeing similar voltages is to be
expected.

The power LEDs 2 thru 6 on Penelope reflect the voltage at the output of
U9B, as digitized to 12 bits by U16, and read over the SPI bus by the FPGA.
LED    digitized value
2 on if >  250
3 >  500

As the positive peak voltage at the BNC connector (J5) increases, the
detector voltage should rise (U9A pin 1 and U9B pin 7).  Check those
pins with a DVM.  As you increase the drive setting in PowerSDR these
voltages should rise.  If they do, but the LEDs do not light, seems like
there's a problem with U16 or the SPI bus to the FPGA.

This digitized voltage, as well as those at pins 20 and 7 on the 25 pin
connector, J6, are transmitted to the PC.  I'm not sure what value is
used by PowerSDR to show power out.

73,
Dave
WA8YWQ

On 7/29/2012 4:49 PM, Stephen West-Fisher wrote:

> After being a lot more careful with testing (and not paying attention to my
> power meter) I have a completely different set of problems. This evening I
> also updated from SVN all the code, which included the new 2.2 Ozy code. For
> completeness Penelope is at 1.7.
>
> I DO have output in TUN at the antenna!
> However, the power LEDs do not light and PowerSDR still shows 0 power out.
> All of the tests below appear to be fine.
> When I went back and checked pin 2 of JP2 and JP3 they both appear to have
> the same peak to peak voltage which I believe is not supposed to be the
> case.
> Any ideas of where to look for these issues?
>
> --
> Stephen West-Fisher
> N4IK

Clear Stream Technologies