[hpsdr] Tablets and Hermes

Chris Albertson albertson.chris at gmail.com
Tue Jul 31 10:14:55 PDT 2012

If your SDR software is designed correctly then you do NOT have to choose a
tablet brand.  Any of them should work.

The way it should work is that you select an existing communication
protocol for use between the tablet's user interface and the SDR.   The
advantage of "existing" is that there are already usble GUIs that run on
many different devices,like tablets and phones and computers and even
physical controls surfaces.

One that runs already on a tablet that would work well for SDR is this one
v-control-pro <http://www.neyrinck.com/en/products/v-control-pro> this runs
on an Apple iPad but there are 100 others that run on "whatever".  But you
can see on the linked photo how these generic controllers work.  You map
the on-screen controls to software functions and the end user and move
things around on the screen as he likes.

The absolute wrong way to do this would be to write a special purpose SDR
controler app that run on one kind of tablet only.  It would be a waste of
time given that dozens of good general purpose controllers already exist.

Here is a video showing this in detail.  The video shows this controller
controlling a audio workstation but you can imagine how it might be used to
control a radio.   The thing to remember is that the interface between the
controller and the software is a well established industry standard so if
you don't like iPads and v-control there are 100 others
This video shows the "vision" of how it might work.  The SDR software would
to know to talk to controllers using this MIDI protocol.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CWuXs8K_ZJ8&list=PLEEC62B4F25DC38B4&index=1&feature=plpp_video

On Mon, Jul 30, 2012 at 11:33 PM, Tony Langdon <vk3jed at gmail.com> wrote:

> At 05:00 AM 7/31/2012, Tim O'Rourke wrote:

>  I have this vision of using a 10 or 11 inch tablet with Hermes.
>> Lots of choices out there, one is android verses windoz.
>> Not an IS type on this end just an old user, wondering what others have
>> used or plan on using?
>>

> I have iPads, so that's what I'd be wanting to use.
>

> 73 de VK3JED / VK3IRL
> http://vkradio.com

Chris Albertson
Redondo Beach, California