[hpsdr] Tablets and Hermes

Chris Albertson albertson.chris at gmail.com
Tue Jul 31 15:24:33 PDT 2012

But why do we need to care if both Apple's and now Microsoft's app stores
take a cut?  30% of zero is still zero.  Anything developed for HPSDR will
be free open source.

Also with source code being available anyone can install the app from
source without going to the apps store.

Odd as it sounds, Apple's competitors can't under cut the iPad's retail
price unless they are willing to loose money on every sale.  Amazon was
willing to sell at a loss, we will have to see if Microsoft will also sell
at a loss.  My guess is that MS will accept a huge loss.  Look at their
xBox division:  Last quarter they lost $163.57 for every xBox sold. And
they are STILL willing to continue selling them.  They sold 1.4M units but
lost $229M.   I suspect they will do the same with these tablet PCs.  After
all MS can afford to loose $200M for ten years in a row and still be OK.
MS must be terrified of technology leaving them behind.

I suspect that because the Microsoft tablet PC will be sold below cost by
Microsoft that it will make a GREAT low-cost Linux platform.

On Tue, Jul 31, 2012 at 2:31 PM, Mike <coolgreenearth at gmail.com> wrote:

> Just a reality check about Microsoft Metro-style apps:
>
> Metro-style apps will be sold only through the Windows 8 Store with the
> now standard 30 percent cut going to the house.
>
> Microsoft must like Apple's business model very much...
>
> Regarding "Surface" a first generation tablet, expected pricing is higher
> than an iPad.
>
> But, we shall see:) The software will be the deciding factor for Hermes
> users.
>
> /mike
>

> > On 7/31/2012 9:30 AM, Simon HB9DRV wrote:
> >> I have a great dislike of Apple's business model, also I consider their
> >> hardware to be overpriced, so I'm waiting for the new Surface with the
> i5
> >> from Microsoft.

Chris Albertson
Redondo Beach, California