[hpsdr] OT HV power supplies

Phil Harman phil at pharman.org
Mon Jun 4 20:23:16 PDT 2012

Hi Chris,

Some years ago I modified IBM PC SMPSUs to give 13.8v @ 20A for use with
HF radios.

I wrote an article explaining how to do this which you will find here:

http://www.ifwtech.co.uk/g3sek/smps/smps.htm

The site has a lot of useful information in relation to SMPSUs.

Initially I rewound the original transformer from the PC PSU but later on
I found it much easier to wind my own. Adding more turns on the secondary
and selecting higher voltage diodes and caps would give you the voltage
and current you need.

In the end I built my own from new parts rather than scrap PC units and
they are still in use today.

Also have a look at  K7DYY's home page (http://www.k7dyy.com/) he sells
Class D AM transmitters and uses a SMPSU to generate the HT - one of
Bruce's PSU boards may do the trick.

73 Phil...VK6APH