[hpsdr] OT HV power supplies

Chris Smith chris at vspl.co.uk
Tue Jun 5 04:37:09 PDT 2012

Hi Chris

The original EDSAC was probably powered from the 250V DC mains that was available in that part of Cambridge back then.

There are no notes about the power supplies and no circuit diagrams either.

There hasn't been a decision made about the PSU yet but it looks, from the few photos which have survived, that each rack had its own unit at the foot of the rack.

We think each rack probably draws 1-2 amps at 250V DC and the whole machine 20 amps so constructing linear supplies would need either one very heavy transformer or 20 smaller but still pretty hefty ones.

SMPS seemed the 'simpler' way to go.

Thanks

Chris