[hpsdr] NPR of Mercury (was: Boat Anchors..PreAmps)

Alex VE3NEA alshovk at dxatlas.com
Wed Jun 6 08:08:03 PDT 2012

The maximum NPR of 85.4 dB quoted by Adam was computed [1] for an ideal 16-bit
ADC whose noise floor of -98.09 dBFS [2] is determined solely by its
quantization noise. Perhaps ideal ADC's were out of stock when Mercury was
prototyped ;-) because the radio uses LTC2208, a real 16-bit ADC with a noise
floor of only -78 dBFS [3]. This makes a huge difference as far as the NPR is
concerned.

I have re-computed the maximum NPR using the same equations as in [1], but
taking into account the actual noise floor of the ADC. The new chart [4] has the
same curves as in Figure 2 of [1], with two more curves added for the real
ADC's. The theoretical maximum NPR that can be achieved with LTC2208 is 66.4 dB.

For comparison, LTC2206-14, a 14-bit ADC used in Perseus, has a noise floor
of -77.3 dBFS [5]. Its maximum NPR is 65.5 dB.

The values measured by Adam do not indicate any excessive IMD in the preamp of
Mercury. To the contrary, for some reason they exceed the theoretical maximum
for a real ADC.

[2] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DBFS
[3] http://www.linear.com/product/LTC2208
[4] http://dxatlas.com/misc/npr.png