[hpsdr] Two Metis systems on network

George Byrkit ghbyrkit at chartermi.net
Sat Jun 23 07:36:22 PDT 2012

Jeff,
You may want to use a network switch on the second port to your Metis, or
pair of Metises(whatever plural of Metis is!), which means that your
computer won't have to 'discover' the second network adapter each time the
Metis powers up and down.  Ditto for Metis.  This makes discovery go much
quicker, and allows PowerSDR to just pretty much be run at any time.
Otherwise, you might have to wait up to 2 minutes after powering up Metis
before the PC got an APIPA address on its second network adapter.

When using a private network (just your PC and Metis) on a second adapter, I
have been able to just use the default method, which is called 'APIPA'
(check the WIKI article if you need info...) and it has worked just fine for
me.  This is why a year ago I made changes to KISS to support this discovery
method, so that I could use 2 metis-based systems

Also at that time, I made KISS able to be told to select WHICH metis to use
(or among Metis and Hermes) if multiple were found, whether on one or more
ethernet ports.

73,
George K9TRV