[hpsdr] Expert Electronics of Russia (SunSDR2) in violation of the GPL

David Kirkby david.kirkby at onetel.net
Thu Jun 28 06:55:42 PDT 2012

On 28 June 2012 14:49, Ken N9VV <n9vv at wowway.com> wrote:

> Right Aivars, look at http://www.qs1r.net and see how a fellow
> in Estonia is selling a QS1R (Mercury) clone from Amsterdam <g>
>
> I guess some of the sellers don't care for "English Law" and
> just ignore it. One even copied the exact words from the N8VB
> webpage!
>
> Lets hope that SunSDR2 with "ExpertSDR" and ZS1SDR with "Zeus" software all
> share their source if it was originally GPL.
>
> 73 de Ken N9VV
> http://www.n9vv.com

I know of at least one occasion where GPLed software was used in a
closed source application out of ignorance. Some software (I forget
what it was), used the GNU Scientific Library, and made it clear in
their application that they were using GSL. Advertising it, as if it
gave the code credability.

I pointed out to them and the GSL developers this fact. In the end,
the GSL developers suggested some LPGL code which would do what this
software needed. All was all sorted out to between them, and as a
"thank you", on of the GSL developers sent me a copy of the GSL book.

But there are also people that breach the GPL, knowing they do so.
Apparently some are found out by error messages which get generated.

Dave, G8WRB