[hpsdr] Tuning devices/controllers for SDR

Steve Ireland vk6vz at arach.net.au
Fri Mar 16 05:10:50 PDT 2012

Hi Roger (W3SZ)

Many thanks for the info about the Contour Design ShuttlePro - very
interesting!

I am guessing you use the central indented 'knob' for tuning, but would be
very interested to know how you would set up/configure the controls/buttons
for a single HPSDR running PowerSDR/Open HPSDR.  I am using v2.2.3 - for
which many thanks to W5WC - it is an excellent piece of work

Vy 73,

Steve, VK6VZ (ex-G3ZZD)

PS It is great to see W5WC has such a worthy holder of this venerable
callsign.  I knew the original W5WC John Garrett as a teenager, when he
moved into the area of Kent, UK that I lived in at the time with the oil
company he worked for.  When John saw my ancient HRO and homebrew 10W CW
rig, he kindly lent me his standby rig - a Collins KWM2A.  He was probably
the best CW operator I have ever seen and a great inspiration.

Since people have started talking about controllers, I will add my 2 cents
worth...

I used the Griffin years ago with my SDR1000 and then with the Flex5000, and
didn't like its feel, or the fact that it seemed to 'lose its connection'
and I would have to fiddle around to get the device recognized again.

Several years ago I got a Contour Design ShuttlePro, and I really like its
feel and it has been absolutely solid for me both from a hardware
standpoint, and from a software standpoint...never once have I had it 'lose
its connection', never once have I had it need to have the driver restarted,
etc.  It just works.  Always.

http://retail.contourdesign.com/?/products/23

I currently am running it on a MacPro which has VNC connections to 6
simultaneous PowerSDR sessions running on separate computers running Win XP,
each controlling a different SDR, and it works flawlessly across the VNC for
all 6 sessions, and has done so for several years with no failures or
problems.

I couldn't imagine being without it.  In addition to the 'knob', it has

14 programmable buttons.

73,

Roger Rehr

W3SZ