[hpsdr] Using the HPSDR in the Commonwealth Contest/CW Skimmer

Steve Ireland vk6vz at arach.net.au
Fri Mar 16 05:40:35 PDT 2012

Hi Andrew

I was indeed doing both running stations, and searching and pouncing.  I
found the latter relatively easy after a while and the key seemed to be to
use the 250Hz filter in PowerSDR/Open SDR.  With the 250Hz filter, it was
easy to quickly visually centre the station I wanted to call in the middle
of the passband and get them to come back to my first call.   With wider
filter bandwidths, I didn't always end up calling in the right place. ;-)

I did use the 100Hz filter quite a lot in a pile-up when lots were calling -
it was easy to reduce the pile-up to a just a single signal that way!  ;-)

The waterfall in PowerSDR is very good, but doesn't compare with the one in
CW Skimmer for clarity/ease of use (mind you, CW Skimmer is in a league of
its own, when it comes to a waterfall display and was designed by an
operator whose only operating interest is CW).

I haven't managed to get CW Skimmer working under PowerSDR/Open SDR with VAC
yet, but hope to do this in the coming weeks.  Currently I get an error
message when I try to start CW Skimmer that says 'Invalid device number: 2'.
Any ideas anyone?

As an operator that uses 90 per cent CW, PowerSDR/Open SDR is a fabulous
piece of software with superb digital filtering, but I really miss the
waterfall displays of VE3NEA's Rocky and CW Skimmer software.  Still
PowerSDR/OpenSDR is developing all the time.

Vy 73

Steve, VK6VZ