[hpsdr] Panadapter scrolling in PowerSDR...

n3evl n3evl at townisp.com
Wed Mar 21 15:44:21 PDT 2012

Re: PowerSDR v 2.2.3 (W5WC - 2/10/12) RX2 versus 2.2.3 (B) (W5WC - 9/25/11)

I've noticed an apparent change in the behavior of the Panadapter when
scrolling left or right when tuning.

I typically run the Panadapter with some amount of averaging (750mS) and
typically use a 1KHz or 500Hz step size when using SSB.

I've noticed when tuning/scrolling e.g. using the mouse wheel, that the
signal levels across the display area momentarily drop making it hard to
estimate if you've moved the mouse wheel enough clicks to bring the
signal of interest into the passband - so I find myself overshooting or
doing click-stop-click-stop to determine where the signal now is
relative to the passband.  If I turn averaging off, the real-time
response to tuning adjustments is better.

I've experimented with different amounts of averaging time but cannot
find a suitable value.

I've compared behavior with the older version of PowerSDR mentioned
above and the behavior is quite different.

I'm wondering if something changed in how the display is refreshed to
accommodate the 2nd RX window (although this behavior is apparent  even
when RX2 is not activated.

I'm using WinXP SP3, single Mercury, Penelope, Metis,  Excalibur - usual
suspects.

73, Pete, N3EVL