[hpsdr] By the pricking of my thumbs...

Jeremy McDermond mcdermj at xenotropic.com
Thu Mar 22 09:15:19 PDT 2012

On Mar 21, 2012, at 5:34 PM, Scott Cowling wrote:

> Way cool!!!!!!!!  Does it actually work, or are you just teasing us?

The proof of concept code works.  It communicates with Metis over 802.11n and is able to process samples and put out audio to the Mercury audio output.  This tends to indicate to me that there's enough grunt there to run the entire thing.

There are some significant differences between AppKit (the Mac version of the Cocoa frameworks) and UIKit (the iOS version of the Cocoa Touch frameworks) which I'll have to do some rewriting (and relearning) to make things work correctly.  The good thing is that UIKit is heavily based on Core Animation for its graphics processing.  The Heterodyne UI elements already use Core Animation.  Additionally, I think the porting from OpenGL to OpenGL ES shouldn't be a large issue either.

> When can I get one? :-)

There is a special distribution mechanism for "beta testers" in the iTunes developer program, so I can do limited distribution of any app that way to folks who want to test (when it's ready).  I'm thinking that I'll offer to load the app for such testers at the TAPR booth at Dayton, assuming I have something ready to test by then.

> (No joy for us iPad 1 users...)

I don't know whether it's going to work for iPad 1 users yet.  I think the big thing will be the level of OpenGL ES support.

--
Jeremy McDermond (NH6Z)
Xenotropic Systems
mcdermj at xenotropic.com